Another of our favorites from Michelle Tam of Nom Nom Paleo!
Makes 4 servings (in other words, double it!)
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, ghee, or cooking fat of choice
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground pork, ground turkey (not extra lean), or any ground protein
- 2 red jalapenos, 2 Fresno peppers, or 2 Thai chilies, seeded and diced, OR 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (or sub balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Trim and chop asparagus
- Slice the asparagus crosswise in ½-inch sections.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, swirl in the cooking fat so you have a thin layer of fat coating the bottom.
- As soon as the fat is shimmering, toss in the shallots and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook, stirring, for a couple minutes or until the shallots are softened.
- Toss in the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground pork and break it up with spatula.
- Sprinkle on some salt and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Toss in the asparagus coins and minced chilies, and cook until the asparagus are tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut aminos, rice vinegar, fish sauce, and sesame oil.
- Turn off the heat and adjust the seasonings.
- Toss in the scallions and you’re done!